Veterans or veteran family members eligible for government benefits should contact the college Financial Aid Office in the Student Services building. All students expecting veterans’ benefits, degrees, or certificates must file an official transcript of their record from all colleges previously attended.

Steps to Complete VA Certification Requirements

1.  Apply for VA Benefits

Once you have applied for benefits or submitted a request to transfer your benefits to Lassen Community College through the VA, you should receive a “Certificate of Eligibility” through the mail from the VA.

2.  See the School Certifying Official

Please bring your Certificate of Eligibility to the School Certifying Official who is located in the Financial Aid Office, along with a copy of your most current DD214 and a copy of your benefit application submitted to the VA. This will initially be required to certify you for benefits. The VA can take up to 30 days to process a request to use/transfer benefits.

3.  See the VA Counselor

Please bring a copy of your military transcript with you when you meet with a counselor. In order to be issued credit please mail your official military transcript to Lassen Community College Attn: Veterans’ Office PO Box 3000 Susanville, CA 96130. Adam will assist you in completing your schedule and provide certification

Effective August 1, 2019: Section 103, PL 115-407

Attendance and Participation While Awaiting VA Tuition and Fee Payments

Effective August 1, 2019, any student using CH31 (Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Benefits) or CH33 (Post-9/11 G.I. Bill) is protected from any penalties imposed by the College while waiting for the VA to make tuition and fee payments.

Under this policy, the college:

  • Cannot deny a student access to classrooms, libraries, or other institutional facilities
  • Cannot make the student borrow money to cover costs while waiting for payment
  • Cannot charge a student a late fee or penalty

All of the above is consistent with current College policy practices.

Protection begins when the student provides the school with a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) or a Statement of Benefits. The College can require the student to submit:

  • The COE or Statement of Benefits no later than the first day of the program
  • A written request to use the benefits or other necessary certifications

The coverage period ends when the VA makes payment or 90 days after the date the College certifies tuition and fees.

​Contact Informa​tion

Veterans Certifying Official
Angela Barrier
Office Phone: 530.251.8850
Office Location: Student Services Building

Veterans Counselor
Adam Runyan
Office Phone:530.257.6181 ext. 8934
Office Location: Student Services Building

Can’t find what you’re looking for?