Couseling Office FAQ

Counseling Office FAQ

 Q. Do I need an appointment?

A. Probably not. We do not make appointments for general questions, for class selection or help with registering for classes. If you are a current student and need an Education plan, you will need an appointment. Stop by or call 530.251.8842.

Q. I’m new to college. How do I begin?

A. Follow the steps on our GET STARTED page. By the time you meet with a counselor, you should have already applied for admission, logged into MyLassen – Student Portal, completed online New Student Orientation and completed Assessment Testing.

Q. Do you need my high school transcripts?  Also, I have test results – such as from AP,  CLEP, SAT or ACT. Can you use those?

A. Counselors use multiple measures to determine the best math and English course placement. If It has been less than 10 years since you graduated from high school, it would be helpful if you could bring a copy of your high school transcripts. Any other test results you may have, such as SAT or ACT are also helpful. You may be able to receive course credit for AP or CLEP test scores. Send OFFICIAL test scores to Lassen Community College, Attn: Counseling Office, P.O. Box 3000, Susanville, CA 96130. You may also fax transcripts or test results to 530.251.8885, or email them to:

Q. What if I’ve previously attended a different college or been in the military? How do I get credit for prior coursework?

A. If you have previously attended another college or university, or have military transcripts, please bring a copy of your transcripts to the Counseling Office. We can use unofficial transcripts to start. In order to get credit for prior coursework, have your OFFICIAL transcripts sent to Lassen Community College, Attn: Admissions and Records, P.O. Box 3000, Susanville, CA 96130. Then complete and submit the Transcript Evaluation Request. Transcript Eval Request form.pdf

Q. I used to be a student at Lassen College and now I’m returning. Anything I should know?

A. If it has been over one year since you attended, you will need to complete a new online application in order to update your information before you will be able to register for classes. The counselors can access your Lassen College transcripts to see what coursework you have already completed. Then they can assist you in determining which courses are still required to complete your degree or certificate.

Q. I am still in high school. Can I take college classes?

A. Yes, but there are specific requirements. Get all the information on the SPECIAL ADMIT page. One great advantage of taking classes while in high school is that it is FREE!!

Q. What is CTE or 2+2? How can I earn college credit for high school coursework? 

A. Through the Career Technical Education (CTE)/Transitions program (formerly called 2+2), high school students have the opportunity to receive Lassen Community College credits for taking an approved technical education class at their high school. You may have already taken an approved course and not even know it!  CTE/Transitions (2+2) packet of information. Contact the Counseling Office if you have questions.

Q. How do I get my diploma if I have finished my degree or certificate?

A. Graduating or receiving a diploma does not happen automatically. You must complete a PETITION TO GRADUATE form. If you have completed coursework at other colleges that will count toward your degree, be sure you have requested the official college transcripts be sent to Lassen College, so they can be evaluated. For more information, visit the GRADUATION page.

Q. My goal is to transfer to a four-year college or university. What help can you provide?

A. Located within the Counseling Office is the Transfer Center. It is designed specifically to assist students who plan to transfer to a four year school. The Transfer Center organizes visits to 4-year colleges, hosts a College Day and provides assistance with completing college applications. For more information, visit the TRANSFER CENTER webpage.

Can’t find what you’re looking for?