Established in 1945, Lassen Community College Gunsmithing is the oldest gunsmithing school in the United States. We offer Associate in Science Degrees in Firearms Repair and General Gunsmithing, as well as Certificates of Completion for Pistolsmith, Riflesmith, Long Guns, and Gunsmith Machinist and Metal Finishing.
Degree programs and Certificate programs are designed to be realistic and comprehensive, spanning the wide spectrum of skills needed to compete in the modern job market. (See program links at the bottom of the page for more information)
NEW APPLICATION PROCESS!!!!
The online application process for the Gunsmithing Degree and Certificate Programs has been changed. Students must be present to apply for the Degree and Certificate Program. Please see information below for more information.
Registration for the 2020 Fall Gunsmithing Degree and Certificate Program will be held at Lassen Community College on: April 6, 2020 8 a.m to 4 p.m.
1. Students must be present to apply/register. Registration will take place at Lassen Community College (Detailed agenda TBA )
2. Students will be accepted on a first come, first served basis up to 22 students with 8 alternates. These students will continue with registration and orientation. Remaining students will be placed on a wait list and given priority for the following year.
3. Students will complete the following steps to be accepted into the Gunsmithing Program:
a. Complete College Application
b. Meet with a counselor and complete an Educational Plan
c. Complete Financial Aid Application/FAFSA (must provide copy of 2018 tax return)
d. Complete registration for Fall 2020 courses
e. Complete California Department of Justice Certificate of Eligibility (COE) application, including livescan fingerprints. (Students' continuation in the Gunsmithing Program will be contingent on a valid COE.)
4. Students will receive a comprehensive tool and firearm list and have the ability to ask instructors questions.
5. Students will receive a tour of the Lassen Community College campus and Gunsmithing facility.
6. Students will be provided lunch courtesy of LCC
7. Lodging information
8. Frequently asked questions
9. If you have additional questions please contact us at:
NRA SUMMER COURSES
As an NRA affiliated Gunsmithing school, we also offer one and two week NRA Short Term Gunsmithing Courses during the Summer. Courses are offered in Basic Machine Shop, Barreling, specific firearms platforms, California P.O.S.T Certified Law Enforcement Armorer Schools, engraving, Knife making, and metal finishes.
Whether your interests are as a career path or for personal enrichment, we invite you to join us for these enjoyable and informative classes. These courses are separate from the Gunsmithing Degree/Certificate Program and anyone can enroll.
*Students are responsible for providing firearms and tools needed for their coursework.
2020 Summer Course schedule
May 11- May 15 GSS 147 LEAS Assembly and Tuning of Gas Operated Rifles*
June 1 – June 12 GSS 112 Machine Shop for Gunsmiths
June 1 – June 12 GSS 117 Gas Tungsten Arc Welding for Gunsmiths (evening course)
June 8 – June 12 GSS 98.03 Cowboy Action Shooting Short Guns
June 15 – June 19 GSS 77 Accurizing
M1-M1A for Competition
June 15 – June 19 GSS 114 Basic
June 22 – June 26 GSS 70 Checkering
June 22 – June 26 GSS 134 Caustic
June 22 – June 26 GSS 82 General
July 6 – July 10 GSS 95 LEAS Basic Law Enforcement Armorer*
July 6 – July 17 GSS 112 Machine Shop for Gunsmiths
July 6 – July 17 GSS 72.01 Metallic Cartridge Reloading (evening
July 13 – July 17 GSS 88 LEAS
Design and Repair Single Action Auto*
July 20 – July 24 GSS 87 LEAS
Design and Repair Double Action Auto*
July 20 – July 31 GSS 98.08 Custom 1911
July 27 – July 31 GSS 98.06 LEAS DFR Patrol Rifles
August 3 – August 7 GSS 89 LEAS
Design and Repair Full Auto*
Check our webpage frequently for updates and changes.